I started working on the other docking ring finally. It’s just about complete. I have Andre checking my work at the moment and once we think it’s good to go, I’ll post it to my grabCAD page for all.
The port-side was a bit trickier as we didn’t have as good a 3d scan of it, so I had to employ some other photo projection techniques to get the placement of the parting lines correct, but the same basic method was used as for the starboard ring. 3D mapping of the photographs to a 3D model underlay, trace out the grooves then unroll them into a flat pattern, then re-wrap them around the ring as geometry.
I’ll be posting them a few different ways: I’ll post the 3D files of the starboard and port-side rings as shown – with the armor modeled in. And then another version as a blank ring and the 2D files for laser-cutting the plates, if you want to bond the plates on traditionally.
I did re-work the starboard ring a bit once I got into the port-side. I noticed that the area where the SeaLab III struts attach varied a bit from ring to ring. they were inconsistent by a half a degree or two – so I made them consistent. The struts should land perfectly on each of the rings making a nice “X” pattern in profile view from corner-to-corner along the docking arm end-caps.
Here they are in context. So small compared to the rest of the model! These are shown on our 5′ base model…
So here’s a fun one!
Got a small section of Andre’s 3D photometric scan of the 5′ Falcon and started using it for the digital reconstruction.
We built a generic version of the docking ring…
Then I traced the armored plates onto the generic ring using the 3D scan as an underlay to get exact plate lines. The plates were added to the generic model…
Next the plates were digitally unrolled from the cone shape to make a flat pattern…
Thank you Andre for supplying the base model for this. I’ll probably be posting versions of the “original” part and of ones that have been modified to fit the falcon dome. Also one with thicker wall section for smaller build (like my 32″ scale).
I posted this to the RPF, but not here. Not sure why…
A more finished side…
and a less finished side.
I have a new contributor to the site – Andre (vfxsup64 on the RPF). Check out his amazing work on recreating the ANH 5′ Falcon on his thread here.
Andre and I have similar goals, and similar working styles, so it seemed a natural fit. I’m looking forward to working more with him on our respective Falcon projects!
The blog has been renamed The Falconers (plural) and we hope to attract more falcon creating enthusiasts as we continue to grow.
Ok, so while I was waiting for my Solidworks and Alias licenses to get updated, I did a little side project. A Millennium Falcon flight sim!
Well, technically it simulates the display on the dashboard console – or my imagining of it.
It has 360+ of the known planets in the Star Wars galaxy mapped in 3D space and you can fly around and explore the whole galaxy.
The little compass thingy at the bottom always points toward the center of the galaxy (it’s easy to get lost) and the planet names appear as you fly close to them.
The read-out at the top shows current heading and and speed and a bunch of other stuff – but It’s all in Aurebesh, of course. So get to translating.
The controls are:
W – dive
S – climb
A – bank left
D – bank right
Q – hyperspace (of sorts)
E – brake
Tweaked the UI quite a bit and added destination presets! Using the numbers keys (not the ones on the num pad…)
0 – Tatooine
1 – Alderaan
2 – Yavin
3 – Hoth
4 – Bespin
5 – Endor
6 – Coruscant
7 – Naboo
8 – Kamino
9 – Geonosis
minus – Utapau
equals – Mustafar
tilde – Dagobah
Just thought I’d mix it up a bit and start working on some kit parts. This is the 1/5 Scale Entex transmission part that flanks either side of the mandibles. It’s a lank mark part on the ANH Flacon that didn’t make it to the ESB version – I’m guessing there wasn’t a 1/10 scale version available and thus the ESB version used the Porsche transmission.
Thanks to vfxsup64 at the RPF for the laser scan part that I’m surfacing over top of!
Well, I think the sidewalls are done! Published to grabCAD and free to download and start tweaking and printing. This was a lot of work – whew – but I learned a lot. There will definitely be some things that I’ll be doing differently from a workflow standpoint; things I’ll be doing different when I start to tackle the rear wall – which is up next!
Here’s a view looking toward Han’s side:
… and a view looking toward Chewie’s side:
This was probably the trickiest bit to source image for; looking up at the roof.
I think that’s about it for the side walls. I’ll probably do a bit of noodling on some details here and there, but the bulk of it is done. Yay!
I still have some prep-work to do before I get it up on GrabCAD – like some sexy renderings (no more purple and teal toggles) and the panels sectioned down into manageable bits, but it should be any day now. I’ll also get these on the Form1 at the same scale I was doing the seats too!