Just a quick 2-day project. Not sure if I’ll publish these. While I think the proportions are pretty close, the overall size was a total guess. If anyone has some actual dimensions, I’ll gladly post the files…
Yeah – so it’s been two years since I finished the cockpit sidewalls – and now, as promised, the rear wall is finished! Here’s a link to the GrabCAD project!
Just got these polyjet printed and added a single coat of white primer. No sanding yet.
This is the ANH 5′ gun printed at half scale. It was printed in six pieces and includes hollows for 1/16″ steel rods inside the barrels and the articulation points.
I did this as a test print to figure out my tolerances for snap fits and such.
A little mock-up to test targeting the quad cannon from the Millennium Falcon.
I used Unity3D to calculate the spherical aiming model, and then I derived the servo values from there which are passed to an Arduino to control the servos. Pew, pew!
Finally! I can move past this part. I hope this is one of the harder parts I’ll have to model.
Get it here on GrabCAD.
Here 47 of the Aurora SeaLab III parts as were used on various Star Wars and Battlestar studio scale models.
I know it’s been a while since I’ve updated the blog – but believe it or not, I’ve been too busy Falconing! Lots of updates to come for sure. Here’s an update to the simulator for the Full Scale project. All sorts of new stuff like: language translation between Aurebesh and English, new onscreen navigation widgets (including a dynamic flightpath) and probably most importantly, an on-screen help text (press ? to access).
I’ve also included they ability to power-up or power down the Falcon (press “I”) – you never know when the empire is listening in…
I started working on the other docking ring finally. It’s just about complete. I have Andre checking my work at the moment and once we think it’s good to go, I’ll post it to my grabCAD page for all.
The port-side was a bit trickier as we didn’t have as good a 3d scan of it, so I had to employ some other photo projection techniques to get the placement of the parting lines correct, but the same basic method was used as for the starboard ring. 3D mapping of the photographs to a 3D model underlay, trace out the grooves then unroll them into a flat pattern, then re-wrap them around the ring as geometry.
I’ll be posting them a few different ways: I’ll post the 3D files of the starboard and port-side rings as shown – with the armor modeled in. And then another version as a blank ring and the 2D files for laser-cutting the plates, if you want to bond the plates on traditionally.
I did re-work the starboard ring a bit once I got into the port-side. I noticed that the area where the SeaLab III struts attach varied a bit from ring to ring. they were inconsistent by a half a degree or two – so I made them consistent. The struts should land perfectly on each of the rings making a nice “X” pattern in profile view from corner-to-corner along the docking arm end-caps.
Here they are in context. So small compared to the rest of the model! These are shown on our 5′ base model…